It is now the 2nd month of 2019. If you have not yet taken actions to improve yourself and your life yet, please do start now. And remember, it’s better late than never.
To have a wonderful and fulfilling year ahead, you need to take control of your life instead of just letting things happen to you. I am talking about living an intentional life, a life with purpose and meaning, a life full of joy and achievements – a life you designed.
A Harvard Business Study found that only 3% of graduates from their MBA had written goals and created a plan, and those 3% ended up earning ten times as much as the other 97% put together, just ten years after graduation.
THE WHY POWER
We have to be mindful and very intentional while setting our goals, though.
We all know that the why power is important for us to achieve our goals, I also believe that the why power comes first and foremost. Our WHY is the reason that gets us up in the morning every day after all.
Really ask ourselves about our motives: Why do I want to accomplish this goal? Why do I need to do it NOW? And does it have to be ME? If our reason is just the so-called “success” defined by others, we will give up eventually when we don’t see the money or the fame. Once we have really found our Why – for ourselves, and not for anybody else – then we will suddenly find ourselves unlocking all kinds of superpowers that we did not even know we have.
The goals we set have to cover all areas of our life. Here’s a categorization that I use:
- Financial Goals. (i.e. Double our income in 2019.)
- Career Goals. (i.e. Start a side-hustle.)
- Relationship Goals. (Make sure to include all the roles we play and the hats we wear.)
- Goals for our PHYSICAL health. (i.e. It can simply be to sleep by 9 pm every day.)
- Spiritual Goals or Goals for our MENTAL health. (i.e. Meditation 10 min every day.)
- Intellectual Goals. (i.e. Read 10 pages of a book every day, or to learn a skill such as video-editing.)
- Goals for how we can leave a Legacy or make a Charitable Contribution. (i.e. Volunteer 4 hours every month for an environmental cause.)
Be the designer of your life!
This blog post is based on my video series on GOAL SETTING. You can watch them on your preferred social media platform: