My dear husband Anmol asked me when was the last time I did something just for the fun of it and not for the value it will provide.
I thought about that question really hard for a little while and realized that I really haven’t done anything like that for a while now, not without his influence. The last time I did such a thing was in February when I really wanted to sing, so I just downloaded a singing app and recorded a song. But that was half a year ago!
Surely, I do all sorts of fun things with Anmol all the time. He is the main reason I am still able to anchor myself, have fun, stay sane, and enjoy life. But if he does not take the lead to arrange something entertaining, or even better, just to drag me away from my desk and do something crazy without warning, I haven’t been able to do such a thing for myself at all.
Whenever I find small pieces of time, I do my very best to fill the gaps and get more things done. While waiting for the food to heat up in the microwave, I meditate so I can get my daily practice done; while doing chores, I listen to audiobooks so I can consume more information; while eating my meals, I browse news and watch Skillshare videos to learn new skills; while waiting for Anmol in bed, I open my language learning app and try to pick up a few more new words and sentences in Spanish; even while in the washroom, I reply post responses on my Facebook pages and blog posts to answer comments…
I am not bragging about how busy or how hardworking I am. Actually, quite the opposite, I wish I could work smarter, rather than harder, and be able to achieve more in less time. I was just a bit shocked to realize that I stopped doing fun things just for myself and didn’t even know.
It also reminded me of a video from one of my favorite YouTubers, talking about what brings her pure joy in life. I was so inspired by it that I wrote my own list while watching. It seems like just knowing what things bring me joy is not enough. I also need to do them!
1. Human Connection
– Quietly listening to personal stories from amazing storytellers
– Playing board games with close friends
– Having a heart-to-heart talk with friends and family
– Helping and supporting others to reach their potentials
2. Engaging in passions
– Self-discovery through journaling and writing with no intention to please or impress
– Vision boarding
– De-cluttering and tidying up (I think I enjoy the process as much as the result)
– Doing DIYs and crafts
– Singing for pure pleasure and not for competition
– Listening to beautiful country or rock’n’ roll music
– Traveling to beautiful places and enjoying the scenery for as long as we want
– Sleeping (with no worry of when to wake up)
– Physically holding and reading a good book
– Shopping for and with myself
3. Fully engaging in senses
– Theme parks and roller coasters!
– Eating good food
– Making coffee for myself just to enjoy the intoxicating smell and to have the aroma fill the whole space
– Watch a thoughtful and touching feature film in one sitting like The Big Blue, Wall-E, or Her
– Lying on the grass just to let the warmth of the sun penetrate my entire body
– Lighting up a pretty-looking candle with a nice sent, holding it in my hand, and just watching the flame dance
– A nice and relaxing bubble bath
– A hot beverage on a cold day
– Reading in a coffee shop with a cozy ambiance, and splendid sunshine coming through big glass windows
4. Physical movement
– Enjoying outdoor sports like hiking, tubing, or a picnic
– Dancing while feeling free, sexy, confident, and powerful
– Jogging/walking in a huge park in a city in the early morning
– Watching comedies like Friends
– Laugh at silly jokes
– Watching videos of baby laughing (because joy is contagious!)
Plus a new addition from today:
– To be buried under a pile of soft, clean, and warm clothes that freshly come out of the dryer! (All credit goes to the genius mind of Anmol :D) It was a gift to me from Anmol. I felt such immense love that I was overjoyed with tears…
As big as the list looks, it is far from exhaustive. And these are only things that I do to myself to make me happy. There are countless things that other people do that can make me happy but I won’t have enough space to list them here 🙂