We Are Rich

DSC08855_meitu_1

This is to my beloved Indo-Chinese family and friends who accepted me into their life and their culture.

Papa-Mama asked me if I wanted to say something on my wedding day. I knew I wanted to but I also knew that it had to be done right. Luckily, the inspiration came to me right away. One night in bed, I picked up the pen in the hotel room and quickly wrote down the whole speech. It only took me less than one hour from start to finish and I never looked at it again until right before my speech. What I am trying to say is that this turned out to be an easy task and later on a smooth presentation because everything was just heartfelt. The draft that I was holding while speaking was merely a tool to remind me of what was really coming right from my heart.

I have typed it all down here so that more people can share my deepest joy and pride. I hope you enjoy it 🙂

After spending just these few days in India, I realized one thing loud and clear: WE ARE RICH. Let me explain. I am not talking about material wealth. I am saying that we are rich in cultural heritage, rich in love and devotion, and rich in our beliefs.

First of all, we are rich in cultural heritage. I am mesmerized by the bright colors, the beautiful dresses, the singing and dancing, the crazily delicious food, the fascinating languages, the superb palaces and forts, and even the seemingly chaotic but perfectly functional traffic!

And I love how we place family and friends at the core of our value system. I believe that the world has a lot to learn from us in this regard. Papa-Mama have so many friends that I had to keep on saying “Namaste” to people everywhere I go. In fact, I was saying it so often that Papa had to make a deal with me saying that “Please only say Namaste if I do this (finger snapping gesture) to you.”

I really understand how important family and friends are to us. So thank you for always being there for us whenever we need you. Thank you for keeping us healthy and happy with your physical companionship and spiritual support.

Secondly, we are rich in love and devotion. I have traveled to a lot of places, but I’ve never seen a culture that celebrates life and expresses love in the way we do. Everywhere there are singing and dancing, kissing and blessing, and cooking and taking care of each other. We have so many functions, rituals, and parties. We find joy and laughter and become the cheerleader for ourselves and others under even the toughest times.

Now I am married to the Modi family, I am no longer observing it from an outsider’s perspective. I am now a proud Indian myself, and I can’t help but to enjoy life and show my affection and gratitude the Indian way, and I love it. It was only the second day after I arrived that I started to have Crying Parties because I was overloaded with joy and overwhelmed by the love and devotion.

Last but not the least, we are rich in our beliefs. Just take a look at the members of the Modi family and you will know what I mean. In the Modi family, we have poets, writers, engineers, dietitians, bodybuilders, doctors, artists, designers, singers, dancers, accountants, lawyers, entrepreneurs, and Dada the original innovator. We have everything! We are all doing what we are passionate about because we all dare to challenge ourselves and never give up. At the same time, we never forget to have fun and enjoy life. Because we know that life is not just about the destination; it is also about the journey itself. I love how when I asked Prateek Bhaiya and Chirag Bhaiya how the Modi’s manage to work hard and enjoy life at the same time and they both answered with a shrug of shoulders saying “We just manage.”

It might not sound like a big deal to them, but I know the answer to it. It is because we are rich in our beliefs. We believe in what we can achieve in life and we make it happen. We are all dreamers as well as doers.

That is the full speech I gave on Feb 25th. Even while typing it now I can still feel the blood flow going through my whole body. For me, it was such a blast writing it vigorously in bed one night, such a proud moment to deliver it during the Sangeet Function, and now such a beautiful memory in my heart.

11 thoughts on “We Are Rich

1. Anu Modi March 9, 2018 / 11:47 am

Melody.. the beautiful soul in u..made all of us so energetic all the time..
    I always dreamed of having a lovely daughter like u..n..today I can proudly announce that I have that one..who will definitely lead to our legacy..
    So proud..n…so happy..
    Keep on writing..
    Love ur skills..u have such beautiful words to express..👌👌💕💕

Liked by 2 people

• Melody March 20, 2018 / 9:51 am

Love you Mama! And I am the one who should be proud of what I have. I don’t know what I’ve done to deserve all this, but I will make sure that it does not ever go wasted! I will keep on honing my skills, sharing my gifts, and spreading the love which I have been receiving from all over!

Liked by 1 person

2. Sushil K Sethi March 9, 2018 / 2:36 pm

Beautifully expressed d emotion felt..
    The world is a better place to live,if we accept.
    God bless you all.
    We wish d lovely couple,a very very happy n prosperous wedded life.
    Tho’physically u r far off from ur family,I wish you keep the attachment always growing,

Liked by 2 people

• Melody March 20, 2018 / 9:48 am

Thank you! Yes for sure. This trip helped me understand better the meaning of family, friends, and culture. I am so much more emotionally attached to my family and friends, and I am so motivated to carry the torch and pass on our legacy. This blog is another way for me to communicate with my loved ones and to connect with my inner self 🙂

Liked by 1 person

मान गए *Modi ji always number1*

हमको मजा आ गया और *हमारी घरवाली को पल पल खूब खूब मजा आ गया*

*शुभकामनाएं ओर अगले आयोजन की प्रतीक्षा में*

दिनेश भारती बाहेती

Liked by 1 person

4. Deepak Sharma March 10, 2018 / 5:00 am

Amazing stuff superbly written an emotional one for us also as we are family friends of Modi’s way back from last 18 years or so.

That is what culture is all about, and we Indians feel that nothing is richer than the heritage and culture of ours.

All the best

Liked by 2 people

• Melody March 20, 2018 / 9:43 am

Thank you! I am really lucky to have the chance to experience all this not just as a tourist but also from an insider’s perspective. And now I finally understand what people and books mean when they talk about Indian culture. It is so intoxicating!

Liked by 1 person

5. Vinita Toshniwal March 12, 2018 / 12:13 am

Congrats 💐💐
    Shaandar shadi
    Super management
    Full enjoy mast hansi Khushi
    “ Everything is perfect “”
    Kahi Asa n lga ki yha kuch kam h
    Ya asa kuch hota to acha hota
    Asa sochne ka kisi ko moka n mila
    Really
    Super se upper arrangement
    Anmol ki shadi jab b yado me aayi to masi enjoy yad aayega
    बेटी के ग्रहप्रवेश की बहुत बहुत बधाइयाँ💐💐

Liked by 1 person

• Anu Modi September 18, 2018 / 7:56 am

Thank you so much Vinii..

6. Anu Modi September 18, 2018 / 7:57 am

Thank you so much Vinii..